Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Beach weaners and other things.

I hate to unpack.  I never remove and put away anything from my suitcases after returning from a trip.  The items just remain in my bags... until I need them...  Once I discover that I need an item that has traveled with me, I remove only that one item.  I use it and only then do I return it to its proper place.  It can take weeks (months?) for me to return everything to the closets, shelves, drawers...  I know.  I have issues...

What, you might ask, does any of this packing/unpacking have to do with the title of this post?  Well, it would seem that my lack of love for unpacking extends itself to school backpacks.  Many times I have opened the backpacks in the morning, as the kids are scrambling to get to the bus stop.  Only at that late moment have I realized that an item was being requested for the day, there was a homework assignment that didn't get done, or that something (what is that?)  was left in the backpack for waaaayyyy too long.

Just within the last couple of days, I finally unpacked The Buddies school backpacks.  Yes, I know school has been out for a couple of weeks now, but hey, at least I got around to it.  And I found that I thoroughly enjoyed the treasures that I found inside.  JJ's backpack was harboring a crumpled writing book.  In this notebook he had jotted notes, sayings, thoughts, and maybe he had copied a few things that his teacher had written on the board.  The first entry was simply the written alphabet in capital letters.  A later entry noted that his brother attended his birthday party (don't brothers usually attend?).  There were notes about dinosaurs, Disneyland, and roller coasters.  Another entry read like this:

A box is a house for a shoe.
A desk is a house for a pencil.
A house is a home for a family.
The world is a home for me!

But my favorite was this:

Baby pigs are piglets.
Baby goats are kids.
Baby seals are beach weaners.

That's right...  Beach Weaners...???  Where does he learn this stuff?  Kids today...  They're so much smarter than we were at that age...

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Those Crazy Beans
Wordpress by WP Themes Creator